July 1st 2017 to date, Naguru National Referral hospital
In charge of a hospital: Responsible for planning, executing, controlling, and accounting for UGX 9.1bn budget, annually.
Provides oversight of effectiveness and efficient utilization of resources allocated to all departments including Community and mental Health, Reproductive health, Surgery, Medical and Pediatrics
Supported development of Departmental work plans including community and mental health
Developed the China Uganda Friendship hospital strategic plan 2015/16-2019/20
Started the isolation unit for Cholera, Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers, and Novel Coronavirus 2019 in the hospital
Rose hospital 5S Quality indicators (Health Facility Quality Assessment Program)from 24% to 86.2% between 2018-2020
Designed the Quality improvement Strategic plan for Naguru referral hospital
Currently working with ACE Uganda to develop the Master plan and Strategic plans for National Trauma Centre hospital.
Nov 2011- June 2017 Soroti Regional Referral Hospital, Soroti
- Accounting officer in-charge of hospital, responsible for planning, executing, controlling and accounting for, an annual budget of approx. 1.2m USD
- Secretary to Soroti Referral Hospital Board
- Led process of developing Master plan and strategic plan for Soroti Regional referral hospital
- Improving quality and safety of hospital care through:
.Reduction of patient waiting time
.Extension of good customer care to clients as indicated by an increase in their level of satisfaction
- Increased availability of appropriate essential medicines and health supplies
- Safer work environment for all stakeholders
- Establishment of a robust HRM function
- Creation of a motivating work environment for health workers
- Reduction in average length of bed stay
- Strengthened research activities by: preparing for the establishment of a functional institutional review board
- Operationalization of research coordination mechanisms
- Setting standard of research outputs per intern and doctors
- Strengthened training of health workers by developing a training work plan
- Improved on collaboration between health care facilities and offered a supportive role to the primary and secondary facilities in Mid-Eastern Region of Uganda
- Resource mobilization from government, civil service Organizations and communities
- Strengthened hospital partnerships through:
- Project proposal writing and sharing of information
.Holding regular partnership meetings
.Signing MOUs to engage partners meaningfully e.g. University of British Columbia, University of Kumi, University of San Francisco, Infectious Disease Institute, AHF-Uganda Cares, SUSTAIN, Rotary club of Soroti Central, Peter C Alderman Foundation, TEREWODDE, and Sanyu Africa Institute.
1996-to-2010 Kiboga District hospital Kiboga
- Principal Medical officer in-charge of hospital.
- Medical officer in charge of the Central health sub district
- Secretary to Health unit Management Committee
- Improved on hospital image amongst the local population with a resultant increment in the Out patient utilization
- Led the development 10 consecutive annual hospital work plans and budgets
- Supervised the implementation of the workplans and exercised budgetary controls for annual budgets each worth approximately Shs 0.25 billion
- Monitored and evaluated the performance of workers while ensuring adherence to ethical professional codes of conduct
- Diminished hospital drug stock out levels from 76% to an average of 34%
- Increased hospital staffing levels to 77.6% of approved levels
- Designed outreach activities for the service population for the hospital and 11 primary health units in the central Health sub district
- Led the planning process for the appropriate development and maintenance of 12 health units and facilities
- Started an ongoing process of rehabilitating and maintenance of the hospital
- Improved the health information and management systems from a % to %
- Implemented ministry of health policies at hospital level
- Cascaded the Result Oriented Management into the hospital
- Prescribed treatments for and conducted surgical interventions on patients
- Collaborated with Traditional healers under THETA (Traditional and Modern Health Practitioners Together Against AIDS and other diseases)
- Collaborated with the Hunger project in the development and management of the Epi-centre health unit
Worked with AMREF in developing, implementing and evaluating malaria control programs in 2 parishes.
- Support supervised Health workers under the Quality Assurance (QA) Program
- Participated in the development of the 2001/04 strategic Primary health Care work-plan for the district, supported by Ireland Aid
- Supervised the 1999 Polio immunization/eradication campaign in Kiboga Town Council with resultant coverage of 76%
- Participated in Uganda National Expanded Programme for Immunisation (UNEPI) Surveillance Programme for the Eradication of Polio
- Participant in the review of the field guide for Health managers and service providers, Integration of Hepatitis B and Haemophilus influenza vaccines in the Uganda national routine immunization programme, Feb 2002.
- Supervised tetanus toxoid immunization activities in district resulting in 68% coverage 2008
- Led hospital in becoming the 18th good performing, amongst 67 general hospitals as per standard unit of output.
- Collaborated with Infectious diseases institute, in scaling up of HIV testing services in Kiboga, achieving its first annual target of 50,000 tested, 2009.
- Conducting Field Tests for the IMAI District Clinician Manual: Hospital Care for Adolescents and Adults., Guidelines for the Management of illnesses with limited resources.
2001 to 2003
Part time lecturer at Uganda Martyrs University, Nkozi university: Health economics.
1st February 2001 to 30th October 2001 Directorate of District Health Services Kiboga
Ag Director District Health Services
- Revised and updated the district health strategic plan
- Secretary to the District Health Board
- Cascaded Results Oriented management into the district health sector
- Developed the 3 year development plan for the health sector under support of Ireland Aid
- Developed a Performance Improvement Plan 2001-02 for the District health sector
- Designed location of health facilities throughout the district with an aim of reducing on walking distances by patients
- Facilitated training of Nursing assistants
- Facilitated consultative workshops for Traditional birth attendants and biomedical midwives with THETA and Federation of International Gynaecologists and Obstetricians (FIGO)
- Developed annual work-plan 2001-02 for the district health sector
- Supervised health workers under the Integrated Management of Childhood illnesses Programme (IMCI)
- Participated in the development of the United Nations International Children’s Education Fund – Government of Uganda (UNICEF-GOU) country programme, work-plan for Kiboga District
- Organised the Mass measles campaign October 2001 in Kiboga District with coverage of 94.6%
Support supervised health sub-districts.
2000 to 2008 Distance Education Programme Kiboga
Coordinator, Distance Education Unit (DEU)
- Developed the DEU anual work-plans 2000-01 and 2001-02
- Monitored the performance of Tutors
Organized tutorials for the DEU
2000 to 2006 Iganga Integrated development Activities and Aids Concern (IDAAC) Iganga
Member of the Board of Directors
15th July 1993 to 15th January 1994, Jinja Regional Referral Hospital Jinja
Pre-registration house officer appointment in Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
1st February 1994 to 31st July 1994 Mulago National Referral hospital Kampala
Pre-registration house officer appointment in General medicine.
1994-1995 Iganga District hospital Iganga
- Medical officer, sequentially in-charge of Maternity ward, Male, Female, and Paediatric wards.
- Performed surgical interventions
- Prescribed drugs to patients
- Attended relevant meetings in the hospital
1994- 1995 Iganga Development Activities and AIDS Concern (IDAAC) Iganga
Incharge clinic department
Prescribed treatment and counseled AIDS patients.
1995-1996 Association for cooperation between TICINO and Uganda (ACTU), Iganga
- Treated children of Iganga Babies Homes
- Acted as board member of Iganga Babies Homes
1998-2000 Uganda Martyrs University Nkozi
Masters Hospital health services Management.
1997-1998 Uganda Management Institute Kampala
Certificate in Management.
1988-1993 Makerere University Kampala
Bachelor Of Medicine And Bachelor Of Surgery.
- Serving the under privileged.
- Member of the Mt Olives SDA church Nalya.
- Holistic healing.