Mr. Kagumire Abel is a patriotic man of integrity, capacity builder, and trade facilitation, expert. Married with four children, Abel has served at Uganda Revenue Authority for 19years.
His leadership philosophy is people-focused- aims at guiding people towards a common vision by creating a conducive environment for them. He believes in transforming people through mentoring and coaching, leads by example, and maintains an open-door policy at the workplace.
He is a graduate of Social Sciences from Makerere University (MUK).
Holds a Master of Science degree in Population and Reproductive Health from MUK and a Masters of Business Administration in Entrepreneurship and Strategic Management (MBA ESM) from Bugema University.
- Abel is an accredited leader upon completion of the World Customs Organization (WCO) Leadership and Management Development Program (LMD),
- A fellow of the Common Wealth Tax Administration Senior Leadership, and an accredited Trustee of the Johannesburg School of Finance.
- He is also a WCO accredited valuation expert and a JICA/EAC Master Trainer.
Work history and accomplishments:
- 1998, worked with the Ministry of Defense as a pay Cadre for two years where he streamlined and computerized the pay system of the UPDF.
- 2000, worked with the Special Revenue Protection Services (SRPS), where he established the Fraud Audit team at SRPS headquarters.
- 2002, joined URA, as a PIAT officer and has served as a Verification officer, a CBC valuation officer, in-charge Control desk, in-charge Compliance CBC, in-charge Bus terminal, Supervisor Customs Malaba station, Manager Customs for the Northern region and Manager Customs Enforcement Operations.
- Has participated in Time Release Studies (TRS) in 2005, 2008, 2010 and led the team that conducted the 2019 study.
- 2018, appointed the Assistant Commissioner Customs Audit (ACCA) until 1st April 2020 when he took over as Acting Commissioner Customs.
- On 1 September 2020 he was appointed the Commissioner Customs Uganda Revenue Authority
Other responsibilities and affiliations:
- Member of URA Staff Retirement Benefits Scheme
- Head of the Development Department at Seventh Day Adventist (SDA) Kampala Central Church
- Member of the Lions Club International.
Mr. Abel Kagumire is the Commissioner Customs Uganda Revenue Authority (URA). He has served URA for the past 19 years. On 1 April 2020, he took over as Acting Commissioner Customs a position which he was substantively appointed to on 1 September 2020
He holds a Master’s of Science degree in Population and Reproductive Health from Makerere University (MUK). He also attained a Master’s in Business Administration in Entrepreneurship and Strategic Management from Bugema University in Uganda.